Monday, January 18, 2010

Confession...

Since the time when I was first married and started having sex, I have bought perhaps more than my fair share of pregnancy tests. It's an obsession of mine. When we first started having sex, I was always worried that I was pregnant. I wasn't quite ready to have a baby but if it happened it wasn't the end of the world. I knew that kids were in the picture for us somewhere down the road; I just wasn't sure when. So, I bought a few pregnancy test to have around the house-- just in case. If you are like me at all, when your period does not come the minute it is suppose to you are locked in your bathroom, sitting on the floor, staring at a stick that you just peed on with all the concentration of your very soul.

Lesson Learned: Just because you have sex, doesn't mean that you are going to be in the .0000000000000009% that get pregnant using protection.

Several months into this I started to catch on that I didn't need to panic and run through a review of our sexual escapades in my mind every single month. I started to relax and a few short months later we decided to start trying to get pregnant. Now I was on the other end of the stick controversy. I was now trying to turn that dash into a plus sign by staring a hole into it for the three minutes the stupid test tells you to wait.

Lesson Learned: You cannot change the results with your thoughts.


Through out this entire process and almost twelve years into our marriage, I have been stock piling pregnancy tests. I don't care how much protection we use, it is always in the back of my mind. I never want to be that person with the "oopsie" pregnancy that other people smirk at. No thank you!

This leads me to my tip of the day:

They sell pregnancy tests at the dollar store. Yes, the dollar store! This discovery has saved my mind and my check book. I can buy oodles of tests for the price that they gouge you for at the regular stores. The only draw back is standing in line with about 20 tests does tend to draw stares. I'm just paranoid enough, that I don't even care what they think about me. I'll take 5 more please!



Eventually we had kids-- lots of them. We have four beautiful children and I have since been fixed. Although I must confess, I still have a small stash of pregnancy tests in the back of my drawer-- you never know.

2 comments:

Renee said...

I am leaving a comment here on principle alone... You must have stunned everyone else with your true confessions... :)

Shantel Elise said...

I realize that this post was left a couple of months ago, but I was recently introduced to your blog and have LOVED it. I usually don't comment, but I couldn't pass this up. This post made me laugh out loud! You see, I have been married for just under one year and I go through this same process every month.

Thank you for letting me know that I am not alone! Haha. I love this post. I will probably bookmark it and read it every 28 days. Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails