Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Buffet Basics

I totally HATE buffets. 

Don't judge.  I have a seriously good reason.

When we were little my parents would take an elderly relative out to dinner about once a week or so.  The said relative always picked Ponderosa (the 80's equivalent of Sizzler).  We kids thought it was awesome.  It was all you could eat food, drinks and ice cream bar.  We tried lots of secret concoctions while my parents were entertaining the relative.  All was well in buffet land until one day, while we were making our usual rounds, my little sister had the sneezies.  Her nose was just the right height to barely clear the buffet.  She sneezed the hugest boogery sneeze all over the entire spread.  We all froze and stared at my sister in muted horror.  We figured this couldn't have been the first time something like that had happened in this joint and it probably wouldn't be the last. 

Total and complete NASTY-NESS!

Never again.  Never again.

So my children have grown up without the buffet right of passage.  I steer them far far away from the buffet line.  So you can imagine my disgust when my kids started begging me to take them to the Pizza Hut lunch BUFFET

I tried to make excuses but they wouldn't take no for an answer.  They tricked me with the "kids eat free" angle.  They know I can't resist a good deal.  Dang it!  It's my one true weakness.  The kids were in heaven.  They piled their plates up high with bread sticks, pizza and cinnamon sticks.  They thought it was the perfect way to spend the lunch hour.  Whatever you want and as much as you want.  Pure bliss in kid land.

I have to admit seeing the unadulterated delight on their little sauce smeared faces pulled at my heart strings just a little.  But so did the bill.  $11.98.  Yes, you read that right $11.98.  That's it!  We couldn't eat at the golden arches for that price.

So maybe I can fudge a little on my buffet morals every here and there.  But just a little. 


I know you're still thinking about that sneeze.  Just nasty...

5 comments:

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

DEFINITELY still thinking of that sneeze! Wow.

Julaine said...

I was still thinking of the sneeze...gross. We don't do buffets but I'm sure if it ever comes up I'll have your story to steer me clear.

Ashley said...

Yep. Still thinking of the sneeze...Yuck.

Karen said...

Oh, that's gross. I'll never be able to eat at a buffet again (not that we do very often anyway).

Homemade Heather said...

Our buffet was closed down due to barf. Ha! Beat that!!! Never going there again :P LOL

Related Posts with Thumbnails